Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Responsibility of Roles

Ok, so what is Goofy anyway? 

You know, Mickey Mouse's friend, Goofy? Is he a dog? What is he really? 

I wonder what it would be like to have no one understand what or who you are. 

Wait, I think that's a daily struggle for some. 

It's also a daily struggle for some who have no idea who they are themselves. 

I have met many people with that issue, and I've had that issue, myself, on and off over the years. 

I received an email from a friend this week who wrote about this very subject. She said it had come to her attention that the way she views herself is not the way everyone else views her. She decided to take a closer look and found that maybe she was like everyone thought she was. 

Unfortunately, what she thinks everyone else thinks is not very pleasant. 

It rhymes with witch and starts with a "b". She decided it was time to live up to every one's expectations of her. 

Yikes...but....how many of us have done that? 

We act the way people think we should instead of being true to ourselves. I know I have, many times over. I do it less often now but I know there are roles I played over the years--daughter, mommy, wife, girlfriend, sister, student, teacher, friend, aunt, cousin, healer, co-worker and so on. 

Up until recently, I know I took on those roles each time I played them and acted differently while in each role. 

In our society, it is pretty hard to find ourselves because we do have so many shoes to fill. We have so many roles to play. 

Until we become sure of ourselves and more confident in showing our true colors, we get very good at playing our roles, in the character everyone thinks we should be. 

I'm enjoying the journey I am on, in terms of finding my true self under the layers of costumes I wear. I enjoy being the same person with each character I play. 

I just AM......whether I am mommy or wife; friend or healer. I do realize that I have different responsibilities with each role, but I can continue being responsible without the assumptions that I have normally taken on. 

Take my mommy role, for example....I know I have to teach my children safety and life skills....but I can do that without being the "MOTHER" and without criticism, anger or blame. I can be a gentle teacher rather than a tyrant whose way is the ONLY way. If I'm open, my children can teach me lessons as well and how beautiful is that? I know it's easier to say than to do because the job of disciplining comes in there as well and I do have to remember that I am in training with the new me. 

Each blow up teaches me something about my kids and myself. Why did the argument happen? Why did I say what I said? 

Usually it's because I'd rather be right than happy. I want to "teach them their lesson" (not in a good way) and I tend to go about it all wrong. 

I am learning though and I'm grateful I'm learning who I am along the way. Trying to be who I truly am in each role I play takes some awareness and focus. 

I have to learn to put my Ego in the corner, that's usually the first step. Things often proceed pretty nicely from there...most times. 

I do like knowing the me underneath the acts I've put on for other people. 

Wearing those costumes every day gets pretty heavy after a while, so it feels wonderful to lighten the load! 

The cool thing is, I'm not so bad. I think I'd like to be my own friend. I know there's alot more to discover as I continue this journey and as I grow and age....but I like me better now that I am true to me, rather than who I have been over the years. 

It's a relief to be able to let go of caring what everyone else expects or thinks of me. Now, back to my original question...what is Goofy? ....~M

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment and thank you so much for visiting my blog! I hope to have inspired you in some way....M