Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Christmas Creativity

Each year at Christmas I vow to be more creative with everything...from hiding my gifts to wrapping them. 

I often dream about all the time I'll have to make my Christmas cards as well. I think I bought the supplies to make those cards about 5 years ago. And there they sit in my basement, still in the packages. 

Each year I know Christmas is coming and each year I still can't seem to pull it all off. 

The same goes with the gifts I buy. I stash them in the closet in my bedroom and think about how I should move them to a better hiding place as my kids know where all the goods are. I never seem to get around to finding that better place. 

I am so lucky my kids aren't snoopers like I was growing up. Maybe it's the police tape I stick on my door and the big warning signs I post that inform them of the dire consequences that will fall upon them if they should put even one foot in my room. It's now turned into a game for the kids, so I can't possibly move them. My daughter even made the warning signs this year. 

The gifts are now stacked on my floor with my clean laundry draped over them to disguise them (sneaky, hey?) and I'm naive enough to think my kids actually do stay out when I'm not home. I know I would have poked around when I was a kid. 

My brothers and I snooped each year. We just couldn't wait. I think mom got wise after a while because there were some years we just couldn't find those gifts anywhere. She got creative, I guess. Often the gifts we did find were already wrapped...how clever. 

I do have to admit that when I was 12 or so, I did unwrap one of those gifts to see what it was. I felt so guilty about it , and still do, that I didn't do it again. 

If you are one of those people that wraps your gifts immediately upon purchasing them, I do admire you! I spend the 2-3 days before Christmas in frantic gift-wrapping mode. I usually have no time to be creative. 

I remember the good old days when I had only one child. We took plain newsprint and I had my darling child dip her hands in paint and put her hand prints on the paper. It took hours but it was so much fun! And it was awesome to use that for our Christmas gift wrap. 

Now I usually use gift bags. Not much room for creativity there. I do lots of ribbon though to spruce things up a bit. Those gift bags do save time and they are reusable each year so I think they're a pretty good investment. 

One year, I bought 50 bags to make my own gift bags....ya, they're still downstairs in their packages as well. 

On a happier note, I am almost done all my shopping already so maybe this year I can get the gifts wrapped a little earlier.....I marvel at the people who have all their presents under the tree days and days before Christmas. 

Maybe this is the year for me!! Wish me luck....~M

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment and thank you so much for visiting my blog! I hope to have inspired you in some way....M