Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Changing My Story

Yesterday, as I was in the throes of potty training a three year old AND a puppy, I thought "I'm too old for this!" 

My girlfriend called and I sighed because all I had done all day was wipe up poo and pee. 

I lead such a glamorous life, I told her. 

I felt sorry for myself for a few minutes longer then I put it into perspective. 

Because I know that our thoughts are powerful and that we make up our stories as we go along, I realized that the thought I had about my age was just that, only a thought... only a little piece of the story I call my life. 

I also know that if you don't like the story you are telling, then change it. 

I knew I had to quit telling the same "old" story to everyone I talked to yesterday because then that was all I was focusing on. I had to change my story, my perception. 

The saying is that you are only as old as you feel. Some days I do feel old (like yesterday) and some days I feel 18 again, like at my college reunion a couple weeks ago. 

It really is a person's perception. I decided that I wasn't too old for what I was doing....Truthfully?...I think I was just feeling envious of my friends who are way past the potty training stage and who can leave the house without worrying about where the three year old and puppy are going to pee while they're gone. (a wonderful EFT tapping moment....) 

Yet, on the other hand, I love that my three year old makes me giggle every day! When he hugs me and tells me he loves me big...there's no greater feeling. I feel no certain age at that time, I just feel grateful and happy. 

Age really has no numbers....it is how you feel. 

Maybe it's easier to say that now than when I was in my 20's. What a time that was...so much insecurity, yet so much discovery. I'm glad to be past that. 

Maybe it's also easier to say that now than when I'm in my 70's and realizing that I can't go back...I don't know. 

But I do think that once you reach a certain point, you get more comfortable in your skin. 

You realize that you don't have to try to keep up with everyone. You also realize that you don't need to impress anyone, anymore. You are what you are. 

It's a good place to be. 

So, while I'm at home potty training and all my friends are out travelling and being free...I'll not worry about what I don't have. 

I have a beautiful three year old (and puppy)who is teaching me patience and tolerance and making me laugh while he's at it! 

Thank goodness for the bundles of joy that come in small packages.....M

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment and thank you so much for visiting my blog! I hope to have inspired you in some way....M