Thursday, March 5, 2009

Multi-tasking

I was reading an article today called "The Practical Guide to Starting the Spiritual Journey". 

Now, I have been on a spiritual journey for quite some time so I found this article quite interesting. 

It's based on a book by Rita Nayar called "The Happiness Quotient". 

Sounds intriguing! 

There was so much valuable information in this article but one suggestion really struck me....and I quote:

"Do one action at a time, deliberately and slowly. This will slow down your thoughts, and make you actively aware. Contrary to popular belief, multi-tasking takes away the simplicity of life and therefore encourages anxiety and stress". 

You know, I know all of this stuff already, but I realized, in reading that, I am the Queen of Multi-tasking. Not that it gets me too far...but I do multi-task. 

No wonder it seems like some days I go two steps forward and six steps back. 

Do one thing at a time? 

I don't know if I could. 

How do I slow myself down enough to do that? 

How would I get everything done? 

These are the anxiety driven questions I asked myself upon reading that. 

As I think about it, however, I may just get more things done. As crazy as it sounds, I know that may be the truth. 

And it is one more step on my journey to Spirituality....but I have so many projects on the go, so many jobs to complete, so many calls to make and so many Thursday night tv shows to watch...while I am folding laundry and doing dishes. 

Maybe I'll just sit and watch my show without doing anything else! 

Somehow, I don't think that's what this article meant. :-)

But I do get it and I do understand and I will put it into action...right after I finish the books, wrap up the last essay question on my exam, finish my newsletter, read that last chapter, design the posters for the workshops and conference and make supper......hmmm....obviously this may be harder than I thought......~M

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment and thank you so much for visiting my blog! I hope to have inspired you in some way....M